Great Brunch Ideas for Mother's Day
In less than 10 days it will be Mother's Day - - - one day in 365 that is dedicated to all of you wonderful Moms out there! Breakfast in bed is one of my all time favorites and below are some incredible options to really kick your day off in delicious style! You'll need to stock the kitchen and drop a few hints to dad and the rest of your clan - but it will be worth it!!!
Syrupy Overnight Banana-Nut French Toast
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 5 large ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 (12-ounce) long loaf French or Italian bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slice
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced almonds or coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- In microwave-safe small bowl, heat butter in microwave oven on High 1 minute or until melted. Stir sugar into butter until moistened. With fingertips, press sugar mixture onto bottom of 13-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish. (It's okay if mixture does not cover bottom.) Spread fresh or dried fruit over sugar mixture; top with bread slices, cut sides down.
- In medium bowl, with whisk, beat eggs; whisk in milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Slowly pour milk mixture over bread; press bread down to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes or until bread is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Sausage and Cheese Casserole
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 16 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking sausage to crumble. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine milk and next 6 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk
- Trim crusts from bread. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread cubes, sausage, and cheddar cheese to milk mixture, stirring to combine. Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking or 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray, spreading egg mixture evenly in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Sprinkle casserole evenly with paprika. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes.
Cranberry-Walnut Quick Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tips)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 cups chopped cranberries, (see Tips), fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts, (see Tips), plus more for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F for muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundts or 375 degrees F for a large loaf. (See pan options, below.) Coat pan(s) with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, oil and vanilla in another large bowl until well combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients until just combined. Add bananas, walnuts and chocolate chips. Stir just to combine; do not overmix. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan(s). Top with additional walnuts, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes for muffins or mini Bundts, 35 minutes for mini loaves, 1 hour 10 minutes for a large loaf. Let cool in the pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let muffins and mini Bundts cool for 5 minutes more, mini loaves for 30 minutes, large loaves for 40 minutes. Pan options: 1 large loaf (9-by-5-inch pan) 3 mini loaves (6-by-3-inch pan, 2-cup capacity) 6 mini Bundt cakes (6-cup mini Bundt pan, scant 1-cup capacity per cake) 12 muffins (standard 12-cup, 2 1/2-inch muffin pan)
Quick Breakfast Taco
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters or 2 egg whites and 1 egg
- Top tortillas with salsa and cheese. Heat in pan on stove until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds. (you can also use a microwave but it won't taste quite as good)
- Meanwhile coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat, add eggs or egg substitute and cook, stirring, until the eggs are cooked through, about 90 seconds. Divide the scrambled egg between the tacos.