A Healthy Holiday Snack: Snowman Kabobs
Hershey Kiss Countdown to Christmas Calendars, Cookie Exchanges, and Peppermint Ice cream... These are all such a fun and important part of celebrating the holiday season... However, the other day I noticed we were having more melt downs, messes and all-in-all mayhem at Good Seeds central. We're a firm believer that if our family is eating a well-balanced and healthy diet, there's room for a yummy dessert - but I took a step back and realized... the sugary and processed desserts were starting to take over.... YIKES.
So operation make them smile with some fun and healthy treats that aren't loaded with sugar is now in effect at our household. I can tell you that my girls have had a lot of fun making and eating candy canes out of strawberries and bananas the last two days for their desserts - but we tried this today and it was a huge hit and I thought I would share which we happily found from Dr. Sears:
- Bananas (Note 1 banana makes about 3 snowmen)
- Carrot (tip of the carrot works nicely - and you'll have your peeling and slicing done for lunch or dinner later!)
- Apple (Note each hat is one apple slice cut in half)
- Bamboo skewers
- Mini chocolate chips (Use dark chocolate chips for some antioxidants!)
- Pretzel sticks
- You will need three thick slices of bananas, a grape, a sliver of a carrot and a triangular piece of apple for each snowman. (Tip: Use the bamboo skewer to poke a hole in the apple, so it will be easier to assemble.)
- Let your kids slide the fruit onto the skewer. Then use the carrot
slivers for the noses, the mini chocolate chips for the eyes and
buttons, and use the pretzel sticks for the arms.