Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
My five year old daughter and I have gotten in the habit of ending our day watching cupcake wars. It has been a lot of fun snuggling on the sofa watching something together that isn't animated. It has been even more delightful to hear all of her ideas for different flavored cupcakes and frosting. This afternoon we whipped up one of her recent inspirations - apple cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. And all I can say is YUM!
Here is the recipe:
APPLESAUCE - you can also use a store bought sauce - but we can't guarantee it - ;0)
- 6 apples (we used granny smith)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add cupcake liners to 2 dozen cupcakes
- Peel and dice apples, leaving one apple for later)
- Add apples to large saucepan, combine with ground cinnamon, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally
- At the end of 20 minutes stir and mash apples to make sauce, set aside, this should yield approximately 1 1/2 cups.
- In a large bowl sift cake flour and combine with baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- In bowl with standing mixer with paddle attachment add room temperature butter and beat till creamy, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Then add sugar and combine till the mixture becomes fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Then add egg till combined.
- Add dry mixture and applesauce mixture in thirds, starting and ending with the dry mixture.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop batter 3/4 full to 24 cupcakes
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners/powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl with a standing mixer with a paddle attachment beat cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Add confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until incorporated
- Add vanilla and cinnamon till incorporated
We also put some graham crackers through a food processor and sprinkled them on top of each cupcake - this was a nice crunchy treat and helped balance all the flavors.