Hummus with peas
This recipe is for all the 'lil dippers out there. This is an idea we got courtesy of babble - why not throw in some peas to your homemade hummus for an added nutritional boost?!! Your children do not have to be the wiser - or you can get them involved in the meal preparation and through the process they may come to realize - peas can please!
The options are really endless here as for add ins to your hummus- so, if you are feeling ambitious or just have some additional time - why not create a trio of hummus dips? Peas to one, roasted red peppers to another and maybe even some edamame or white beans and pine nuts to the third?! I'll add those recipe options on another post! For now here's our basic hummus recipe we use at our house with the added peas:
- 1 can (19 oz) chick peas/garbonzo beans drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini (if you don't have tahini which is preferred - some people throw in peanut butter with some sesame oil as a substitute)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (we like lemon around here so scale this back or gradually add it to your preferred taste)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup peas
- pepper to taste (we use white pepper so you can't see the pepper)
- In blender, chop garlic. Pour drained chick peas into blender, reserving a few for the garnish. Place tahini, salt, lemon juice, peas (also reserve a few for garnish), pepper and blend until creamy and the ingredients are mixed well. Add olive oil till super creamy and fully distributed.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with reserved chick peas & peas.
- Serve with your favorite pita chips & crudite!